Hownam Rings - NT 7905 1949
A large and complex camp that originated in the Iron Age. Excavated in 1948 it was built in a number of phases, getting progressively larger with each phase. In later phases the northern part of the camp saw most activity and there are a number of roundhouses on or between the ramparts. Roman pottery sherds suggest the site was used for 500 years.