Pennymuir Camp A - NT 7548 1392
At over 40 acres, this is the largest of the camps at Pennymuir, occupying nearly all the photograph. Although its date is unknown it may date from the time of Agricola, late in the first century AD. The southern and south-eastern ramparts have vanished with erosion and agriculture, but those remaining are up to four feet high, with a ditch on the outside. Four gates are clearly visible (north-east, north and two on the west), each with a defensive titulus in front of them. A lone titulus on the south shows where a gate once was. There are no contemporary internal structures to be seen although there is some later work, with post-medieval agricultural remains around the south-west corner. A presumed medieval dich starts here too and heads north. With care it can be traced to the northern rampart.