Pele Towers

The pele was a defensive tower with two to four stories, usually built by someone of higher status than a bastle owner. Dating from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, they were often associated with a village or a church and provided local people with shelter during raids. At times, they fulfilled a semi-official function; in 1455 an English Act of Parliament required them to have an iron basket on their roof in which a fire could be lit to warn of an attack.

Comments are closed